Friday, September 19, 2014

The Week of the Machete!

Hola everyone!

What a great week it has been here in Cahcahoatan!  Great news.. I finally have a pillow!  This week I decided to buy one and it has probably been one of the best purchases I have made in my life thus far, because sleeping on a towel is just not the same!  Also, even better news.. one of our investigators is getting baptized this week, Wahoo!  Her name is Jennifer and she is 15 years old.  Also we have two investigators who will be baptized the following week on Friday, their names are Fausto and Mary.  I am way excited for all of them!  It is so awesome to see the progress they are making and how the gospel is truly changing their lives.
This week was also filled with several great adventures, the first being that I finally got to use a machete :)  While on exchanges this week with Hermana Zuniga we were walking to one of our appointments when we passed by a sister who was using a machete to cut down some firewood.  We decided to stop and contact her and after doing so I asked her (in my broken Spanish) if I could use her machete to take a picture with.  She looked at me like I was crazy and couldn't figure out why I would want to do such a thing.  My companion explained to her that I was from the United States and that things like this weren't normal for me.  She just laughed and told me I could take all the pictures I wanted :)
Also while on exchanges my companion introduced me to one of her investigators named Jose.  He was the perfect ideal investigator like you would only see in the movies.  They had their first lesson with him last week and he is ALREADY in Alma in reading the Book of Mormon.  He lived in the United States for several years so he is fluent in English.  I taught him a lesson in English and it was awesome, I could say everything I wanted to say and it all made sense :)
Speaking of my Spanish, it is coming!  I understand SO much more, but it is still hard to speak.  This week in one of our lessons my companion turned the time over to me and after I had finished talking the family looked at me bewildered and said "Sorry, but we don't understand English."  Oh boy, they thought my Spanish was English :)
Also family, just so you know you are all famous here in Mexico.  Every time without fail when I pull out my little book with pictures of you guys the whole family I am teaching gathers around and oohs and ahhs at your pictures.  Everyone here thinks you guys are the greatest and that you "look like people from the movies."
This Thursday we have big plans with the ward to have a fiesta called Noche Mexicana to celebrate Mexico's independence day on the 15th.  There will be music and dancing and lots and lots of Mexican food.  We are super excited for it.  I will make sure to send lots of pictures and give details for you guys next week :)
The last thing I want to share with you guys in an experience we had this past week with a sister who owns one of the computer shops where we go to email.  Last week we went to use the computers and she started talking to us about how she is not a fan of organized religions and how she thinks all the churches think they are better than each other.  After talking with her for a bit my companion decided we were going to give her the first lesson right there and then in the computer shop.  So we did and.. It was awful, it was so bad.  She was literally rolling her eyes at us and not paying attention to a word we were saying.  At the end of the lesson we thanked her for her time and left feeling as though we had just wasted our time and hers.  However, later in the week when we returned back to use the computers she said "so I was going to come to your church last week but I couldn't remember what time you said it was at."  (I'm pretty sure my jaw just about dropped to the floor).  She also told us that she would really like to learn more about our message and our church.  After we left me and my companion were like "wow, did that really happen?"
So, my challenge to all of you this week is to share the gospel with all those you come in contact with.  Hopefully it goes well, but even if it does not remember that you are planting seeds and that even if you think they were not listening or that your message didn't help them it did.  You can have such a great impact on someone and never know!
So there you have it folks, go out and share the gospel.  I know you will be blessed :)
I love you all and have a great week ok!

Love, Hermana Peine

No comments:

Post a Comment