Friday, September 19, 2014

Life in Mexico!

Hola hola everyone!

This week was awesome!  I wish each and everyone of you could be here with me to witness these miracles we see here everyday.  The people here are so beautiful and so kind and Mexico is the best, I definitely got the best mission in the world.  

Last Monday for p-day we went to the ruins of the pyramids in Izapa, they are beautiful. Don't worry mother.. I took lots of pictures :)  For one of the pictures I even did a handstand on top on the pyramid.  I don't know that it was the safest idea considering that I had a very swollen ankle at the time, but all is well, and now I've got an awesome picture.

Speaking of my ankle.. everyone is friendly here INCLUDING the bugs who have graciously welcomed me with several bug bites :)  But one of the bug bites caused an infection in my ankle which is why it was swollen.  It was HUGE it looked like someone had put a softball in my ankle, unfortunately there are no pictures though.  So we went to the doctor and he have me antibiotics for it.  It's almost all the way back to normal now and hardly hurts at all.  The good news is that I can walk again, even though I did get LOTS of studying done on the days I was sentenced to the house :)

Also, about my camera.. the bad news is that it got stolen.  But, the good news is that whoever took it probably needed it much more than I do anyways, and cameras are cheap here so I will just buy another one.  

Last week in my email you reminded me that I forgot to talk about my living conditions.  Me and my companion live in a little white house, the floor is all cement, and the bathroom is one open area with the toilet, and sink and then a shower head hanging from the ceiling.  There is a big tank in the back of our house where we wash our clothes and do our dishes.

Tank where we wash our dishes and clothes!

It rains everyday here and from what I've heard there are LOTS of earthquakes.  The food.. well it isn't the worst thing I've ever had, but it will definitely take some getting used to!  A lot of the drinks they give us smell like the water in Kya's dog dish after she has slobbered in it a few time.. and it tastes about like I would guess that would taste too.  I will learn to like it :)

I am learning more and more everyday, but there is still so much that I don't understand.  So I usually just smile and nod to whatever people say to me, which sometimes gets me into trouble.  Like the other day when I accidentally agreed to speak in church when the bishop asked me to.. nah, just kidding I did know that one and I happily agreed :)

Yesterday after dinner with the bishop and his family he drove us to see the Guatemala border which is only about 10 minutes from where we live.  The dividing line is a big river and around it is all jungle, it was so beautiful.  

Also this week we had a really great lesson with a less active member.  She hasn't been to church for a long time.  While we were teaching her she said something I really like, she said "wow, I remember now, these teachings are so simple."  They really are, it is by the small and simple things that we do each day that great things are brought to pass.

Well, that's all I have for now, I hope you all have a great week!  

Love Hermana Peine




No comments:

Post a Comment