Monday, March 16, 2015

My First Time Eating Sheep Stomach



Hola!

Public Restrooms



This week was awesome!  It really was such a great week:)  I came across a few pretty interesting things here in Mexico this week (don't worry I took pictures.)  With that being said, this week I had the opportunity to try something I had never dreamed of trying and that I would now never like to try again.  Ok, ok, I will tell you about the experience.  One day when we went to eat we were given something that looked a little interesting.  But of course as missionaries we eat (and like) everything, so it wasn't a problem.  When I first saw it I asked my companion what it was but she didn't want to tell me because she was afraid I wouldn't eat it if she did.  So we blessed the food and then began eating.  As I looked down at my bowl of soup with vegetables and mystery meat in it I decided I would start with the vegetables and work my way through.  After taking the first bite I was sure I was going to die.  The sister told us how she had put 4 chili's in it and hoped it wasn't too hot for us.  After hearing that it all made sense, no wonder my throat was on fire, I had accidentally inhaled a spoonful of 4 chili's worth of picante!  If you've ever had chili in your throat you probably understand this experience. For those of you who don't know, it feels a little bit like suffocating.  But luckily this only happened to me 4 times throughout the meal:)  After eating all the vegetables I decided to attempt the mystery meat.  I put a piece in my mouth and bit down on it.  It was very thick and nearly impossible to chew through.  I spent about 10 minutes chewing on it until I finally decided that was good enough and swallowed hard.  I quickly tried to wash it down by drinking a glass of water.  The sister who had prepared the food for us must have noticed I was having such a hard time.  She asked me if I would like her to take out the meat and replace it with more vegetables.  I happily agreed and was then able to finish the meal.  Afterwards I asked my companion what it was exactly.  She explained to me it is a meal called Mondango, which is sheep stomach.  Apparently it is fairly typical here and most people love it.  This week Hermana Guerrero and I also had the wonderful opportunity to go to the temple. It was such a beautiful experience.  I was able to do two sessions and felt the spirit so strongly.  It reminded me of the importance of attending the temple.  In a world full of chaos we can always find peace in the house of the Lord.  I feel as though the temples are a little piece of Heaven here on the earth and am so grateful for them!  Have a great week!

Love, Hermana Peine







No comments:

Post a Comment