Monday, October 20, 2014

Training Wheels and Scrambled Eggs on the Sidewalk

If you're alive raise your hand.  Yes you sitting at the computer reading this right now, put your hand up in the air.  Now if you're alive and happy raise both hands.  Everyone should have both hands up because if you're alive you have a reason to be happy.  It is such a blessing to be alive!  Life is a wonderful gift that our Heavenly Father has given us that we should never take for granted.  So there's my little speech for the day.  If you are still participating go ahead and put your hands together and give yourself a high-five, you're awesome:)

Last p-day doing our weekly shopping trip Hermana Juliana and I were trying to decide whether we should buy a carton of 30 eggs or 12.  We decided to get the one with 30 so they would last longer and we wouldn't have to buy more for a little while.  That was a mistake, looking back on it now we wish we would've just gone with the 12.  Why? You may ask, because my dear companion decided she would try scrambling them all on the sidewalk.  Yes, that happened.  As she was walking up the step to get into the house while talking on the phone and carrying a bag full of groceries the eggs slipped out from under her arm scrambling eggs all over the ground.
Unfortunately it wasn't actually hot enough at the time to scramble them so we had a friendly neighborhood dog come clean them up for us, he was more than happy to help! We cleaned up the mess and headed off to our next appointment.  Since then I have been teaching my companion about the miracles of stoves and how they are better for things such as scrambled eggs.

This week I also successfully completed one of the most stressful days of my mission so far.  We had companion exchanges with the sister training leaders and it was my turn to stay in our area while my companion went to Tapachula.  My companion has been in our area for 7 months now so she knows where everything is.  I am used to having her take us everywhere but when she left for Tapachula and I got put with a companion who has never been in our area before I suddenly had to know where everything was and be responsible for getting us everywhere we needed to go.  I prayed to my Heavenly Father for help and he made it possible.  We never got lost and got a ton of work done that day:)

Companion exchanges reminded me of when I was little.  I would ride my bike all around town with my training wheels on but I never had the courage to take them off.  I could ride a whole block without the training wheels ever touching the ground but I was convinced that I needed them.  Having training wheels kept me in my comfort zone but with them on I was never able to try out my abilities.  Having exchanges were like the day I took the training wheels off.  By praying and asking for help I was able to receive guidance and direction and the Lord helped me to know what my abilities were.

The analogy of the training wheels can be likened unto our progression in this life.  We should constantly be making goals and reaching them increasing our abilities.  In D&C 58:27 we learn that "Men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause."  We should be constantly progressing and moving forward.  Though riding around with training wheels on is comfortable it doesn't let us grow and increase our abilities.

So this week my challenge for all of you is to make goals and accomplish them and once you accomplish them make more.  Because if we aren't progressing we are just riding around in circles with our training wheels on.  So make goals and set your standards high.  Don't be "realistic," have faith:)  Because when we set goals and then present them to the Lord miracles happen.

My friend

I hope everyone has a great week this week.  Our days are what we choose to make them, therefore if we choose to make them good they will be.  I sure love you guys!

Love, Hermana Peine

Combined Family Home Evening



No comments:

Post a Comment