Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Kicked out of our House!

I have been in Mexico for over two months now and there are still times where we will be walking and I look around me and think, "Wow, I'm really in Mexico."  Every morning I wake up and am grateful for another day I have to be a missionary and to go out and share the gospel all day every day.  Before my mission I didn't understand how simple sharing the gospel was.  It is as easy as simply inviting someone to church or giving them a Book of Mormon and inviting them to read it.  I will definitely be better at making sure I do that after my mission!

This week we got kicked out of our house by ants. Weird, I know, but it really happened, there are pictures to prove it:)  We were in the middle of companion study when Hermana Juliana suddenly stopped talking about our lesson plan for the day and pointed at the wall behind me and said, "Holy ants!" At first I sat there with a confused look on my face wondering what in the world she was talking about.  She continued pointing and said, "Look behind you!" As I turned and looked at the wall sure enough I saw an invasion of ants coming in through the  window climbing down the walls.  After looking on in amazement at how many of them there were for a few minutes we decided we probably needed to do something about it before they took over the whole house.  We went and found the bug spray to remedy the problem. Because of how strong the fumes are from the spray we had to be out of the house if we were going to spray.
 We grabbed the table and a couple of chairs and took them out back along with our study materials.  We then sprayed the herd of ants that were all over our walls in the house and returned back outside to study.  There we sat in the back of the house under the close-line while the bug spray dried.  Two hours later after we had finished studyiing we came back in the house to find piles of dead ants covering the floor.  Success!  We had our house back:)

I also had another startling experience the other day in the home of one of our new investigators.  I needed to wash my hands so I went to the tank they use for doing so to wash them.  It was fairly dark in the room where the tank was so I couldn't see very well what I was doing.  I grabbed a little bucket and reached down into the tank to scoop out water to rinse my hands with.  I then scrubbed them with soap and reached back in for another bucket of water.  On the third time of reaching down to scoop up water I felt something slimy swim against my hand!  Startled by what happened I yanked the bucket out of the tank and looked down to see what it was.  I saw black shawdows moving around in the tank!  As I looked closer I realized they were big black fish that were swimming in the water.  I quickly shook off the water on my hands and left. I figured I would just let the fish be and my hands could stay a little soapy that day.

The good news for this week is that they are giving away free weddings here this month...YAY!  Not for me though of course.  I am a missionary and that is not allowed but for several of our investigators that is great news!  There are several people here who never get married because they can't afford it.  If our investigators are living together but aren't married they can also not be baptized.  Not being married is something that has been holding several of our investigators back from baptism.  But now that they are giving away free weddings they will be able to be married and hopefully they can be ready for baptism as well soon after!

I think that's all the major news I have for this week besides the fact that it is almost the middle of October and it is still as hot as can be here.  I guess that's what happens when you're living in the tropical jungle.

Have a great week and I'll talk to you soon.  I love you all and thanks so much for your support!:)

Love, Hermana Peine

No comments:

Post a Comment